Accommodation

Go Green & Win a Meal!

By SSilanskaite 10 Feb 2017

When we use less energy, we save precious natural resources and cut down on pollution. So, energy efficiency helps us keep more resources on the earth longer.

From Monday 13th February we will be running our Energy Saving Initiative Event: for four weeks we will be showing a weekly league table of energy saving in each flat and the flat that saves the most energy will win the voucher!

Here are a few examples on how you can save energy:

  1. Switch off standby: almost all electrical and electronic appliances can be turned off at the plug without upsetting their programming. You may want to think about getting a standby saver which allows to turn all you appliances off standby in one go.
  2. Use bowl to wash up rather than running tap and save £30 a year in energy bills.
  3. Only fill the kettle with the amount of water that you need and save around £7 a year.
  4. Cutback your washing machine use by just one cycle per week and save £5 a year on energy, and a further £7 a year on metered water bill. 
  5. Turn off the lights: if you switch a light off for just a few seconds, you will save more energy than it takes for the light to start up again, regardless of the type of light.
  6. Chargers: mobile phone chargers, laptop docking stations and some desktop printers use energy regardless of whether they are charging or not because the voltage transformers on the plug consume energy. This is known as electrical leakage. Did you know that only 5% of the power drawn by a phone charger is used to charge the phone? The other 95% is wasted when it is left plugged in.

We’re committed to going green and we want YOU to join us!

Make an extra effort to save energy and WIN a free meal for you and your flat mates!

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Don't show this message again.