Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Don't show this message again.

Accommodation

Health and safety in your accommodation

By EMeyer 01 Aug 2017

Hi Folks,

As part of living in University accommodation we want you to be as safe as you can be and the University has drawn up several regulations as well as good advice to help you stay safe.

 

As part of the University’s Health and Safety month we though we’d give you some wee reminders to help you and your flatmates be as comfortable and safe in your accommodation as you can be:

  1. Report repairs – reporting needed repairs as soon as the fault occurs will help minimise the time it takes to repair it and will help keep you safe. Even if you aren’t sure if a fault has occurred, it is always better to report it to allow staff to investigate as in some cases a minor fault can soon turn into a larger one!
  2. Stay in the kitchen while cooking – as most residences now have WiFi throughout the building, there simply isn’t an excuse to dash away from your cooking. The most commonly caused false fire activation within residences is due to cooking being left unattended. If you do need to leave, turn your cooking off.
  3. Cleaning – Keeping your room and flat clean isn’t just for good looks, it can help prevent injury! For example, keeping your floor space and corridors clear means less chance of you tripping over something if needing to get our in a hurry. Keeping the kitchen area clean, especially cooking areas is not only considerate to your other flatmates, it also reduces the chance of fire as a dirty hob or oven can catch fire due to the buildup of debris and grease!
  4. Banned items – Some things aren’t permitted in the residence or within your room. In our aim to keep everyone safe some items simply cannot be used as they can cause injury or major problems for other residents/yourself if things go wrong!

For example:

  • Anything with an open flame (candles, smoking) can cause fires and are fully banned.
  • Personal heaters/ electric blankets are banned as they can malfunction and cause injury/fire.
  • Electrical adaptors without BS/CE safety markings/fuses are banned as they have not been tested under EU/British testing conditions and they may not be safe for use with our plugs/voltages. Any adaptor bought within the UK will have the required safety features.
  • Cooking within bedrooms. Whilst it may be tempting on cold winter mornings to have that kettle brewing away in your room this can set off the fire alarms and cause a fire! Any cooking equipment such as kettles/toasters/ricecookers/coffee makers should be stored and used in the kitchen only.

If you have any questions about staying safe in your accommodation why not speak to the site staff?

The Maclay Team

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

Don't show this message again.