How to avoid fire alarm activations
In your accommodation when the fire alarm is activated the fire brigade will attend.
When it's not a real fire this wastes time and money but also keeps fire fighters away from real emergencies and can put people’s lives at risk.
Here are some common causes of fire alarm activations and what you can do to prevent or minimise your chances of accidentally setting the fire alarm off in your accommodation:
- Keep the kitchen door closed while cooking and if burnt toast or other food causes smoke fumes open the window and use kitchen fans where present. Report any kitchen or bathroom fans that are not working so they can be repaired.
- Don’t leave cooking food unattended.
- Report any faulty electrical equipment.
- Make sure all fire doors are closed and not wedged open.
- Don’t spray aerosols or use hairdryers or straighteners directly under detectors in your room or flat.
- Make sure you are not using any banned items such as deep fat fryers, personal heaters, electric blankets, candles or incense sticks.
No-one likes having to evacuate the building suddenly for a fire alarm- especially in cold weather- but the more serious consequences should be kept in mind. Everyone should do their best to avoid setting the fire alarm off.
Finally, please remember if you hear the fire alarm sounding continuously at any time you must evacuate as there could be a real fire in the building.
- Read Next
- Let's start getting ready for uni! Events at UofG Accommodation 2018 / 2019 Applications Now Open! QMR Weekly Update 3rd August 2018 World Photography Day International students: What to bring to uni What should you pack for uni? Get your second year house SORTED! What it's (realistically) like living in halls THE private accommodation moving in checklist
- The three apps you need if you're new to UofG Murano Street 360 Degree Image Gallery 'Get Home Safe' Taxi Scheme Queen Margaret 360 Degree Image Gallery Cairncross House 360 Degree Image Gallery