Pack For Good with the British Heart Foundation
Getting ready to move out of your room in June? Make your packing that little bit easier by donating your unwanted clothes, DVD's, CD's, games and books to the British Heart Foundation (BHF) and help support their life-saving research into the treatment, diagnosis and prevention of cardiovascular disease.
Since 2013, the University has been working with the BHF to provide donation bags and collections points in our residences and every year our students have given generously. Last year, in 2018, over 1000 bags were donated from University of Glasgow residences which works out at £15,582 for the Heart Foundation.
Every contribution is welcome as the BHF estimates that a single bag of donations from a student could be worth as much as £14 to them. Indeed, the BHF calculates that;
- 10 bags could fund a full day's BHF Heart Nursing care. In this time a Heart Nurse could care for up to six patients to help them manage their condition and prevent further hospital re-admissions.
- 100 bags could help find a cure by funding one of a young scientist for seven days. The Heart Foundation currently provides the salaries for around 500 post-doctoral scientists who work in research team’s right across the UK on projects to better understand how to diagnose, prevent, treat and cure heart disease.
- 1000 bags could help 40 young heart patients to gain independence, new skills and confidence whilst meeting other young heart patients.
If you would like to leave a donation you can collect a British Heart Foundation bag from your residence’s main reception and then deposit it in one of the donation bins which are located at the following locations.
- Kelvinhaugh Street, Kelvinhaugh Gate and Cairncross – Located in the Cairncross Common Room and the car parks of Cairncross and Kelvinhaugh Gate
- Lister House - Located in the east-wing car park next to the other recycling bins.
- Maclay Residence - At main gate entrance.
- Murano Street - In the Central Services Building and next to 19 Ochil, 2 Sidlaw and 6 Lomond.
- Queen Margaret - Communal Lounge, Beside block 8
- Student Apartments - There aren't any bins, however senior residents will be handing out bags along with some donation bags at the office.
- Winton Drive - Beside block 24
- Wolfson Hall - Located inext to the bike store in E Block
For more information check out The British Heart Foundation website.