Super Secret Savings Shhhh!
Living on a budget doesn’t have to be the absolute bore that it’s made out to be. Here are our top picks of super-saving-secrets:
- There are added, exclusive benefits to getting an NUS Extra Card. Some supermarkets now offer discounts!
- Supermarkets can be sneaky. Don’t just look at eye level. Often, more expensive brands are strategically placed to be the first things you’ll see.
- Make a list, don’t be fooled by the ‘deals’ bombarding you on the way to your essentials.
- Do you really need a bag of potatoes when you only really wanted to bake one tonight? Sometimes it’s surprisingly cheaper to buy separately, and that way you won’t waste food.
- Don’t shop while hungry, or you’ll go overboard!
- Learn what time your local supermarket marks down their prices – and take full advantage of the special section!
- Restaurant loyalty cards are absolute gems if you’re eating out anyway.
- Train travel can be extortionate. Save a fortune by investing in a Railcard. Download the ‘Tickety Split’ app – trust us.
- For walk-up fares, it’s potentially cheaper to split the journey into two separate legs on the same train!
- Of course, checking online for advanced purchases is a must.
- Sometimes two singles are cheaper than a return
- Megabus does NUS Extra discount – cheap just got cheaper.
- Need flights over summer? Always go in ‘incognito mode’ in your web browser; this way, prices aren't biased and remain low.
- Need a haircut or a gift but can’t face sky-high costs? Plenty of websites offer daily deals!
- EBay – need we say more? There’s no shame in snagging a bargain!
- Google ‘free samples’ or ‘discount codes’ to get (and follow!) the best cheats and freebies the online world has to offer, on everything from food to fragrance!
- Read Next
- Let's start getting ready for uni! Things that happen when you go home for summer... All your summer festival essentials! What you'll miss about university over summer... Let's go travelling... on a budget! How to Handle the Heat Is it time for a digital detox? Best books to read over summer How to have the ULTIMATE British summer Things that people who burn easily can relate to Quirky tea rooms you NEED to visit this summer Resits: If at first you don't succeed...
- Pre-order your food on campus with the FanGo App Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery Getting Around Glasgow Queen Margaret 360 Degree Image Gallery Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery