The joys of slow cooking
It's cold and wet outside and we're all back at uni this month.
While being busy with studies and having an actual social life, it can be hard to find the motivation to cook. I am myself guilty on many occasions for ordering a cheeky takeaway instead of spending time cooking. Really, who can be bothered spending all that time making delicious food when you have an essay due in the morning and the library only have 4hr short loan books left?
However, a slow cooker may just be the thing for you. It's simple to use, safe to leave for hours cooking away AND it's guaranteed to save you money on your food bill.
Here's 5 reasons why you should get one:
- It saves you money, you can buy the cheap cuts of meat such as chicken thighs, braising steak and even the big cuts of meat. As the slow cooker cooks the meat for a long time it turns out delicious each time!
- No need for supervision, just put the stuff in, turn it on and come back later for delicious food. So you can prepare in the morning before class and come back home to delicious food! It's completely safe as the cooking temperature is low enough not to have the potential for fire and the food is impossible to burn! If you live in halls you can just leave it on in the kitchen, they are of course permitted to use within your residence.
- You can make loads of different things in it: cakes, lasagna, drinks, soups, stews, roasts, all works!
- Depending on the slow cooker size you can make enough food to last you for days, perfect for the days when you are really busy!
- It's easy to clean and saves on dishes and water usage!
This is how simple it is:
- Get a pack of chicken breasts and your choice of sauce in a jar (tomato sauce, bbq sauce, sweet and sour, whatever you fancy).
- Put it in the slow cooker, turn on low.
- Come back after 6 hours and nom nom nom!
Want to be healthy?
- Get veggies (potatoes, carrots, courgettes, parsnips etc).
- Chop them up, put them in the slow cooker with a can of tomatoes and 500ml of vegetable stock and some fresh thyme and rosemary, turn on low.
- Come back after 8 hours and nom nom nom (tip: fresh crusty bread makes this the best vegetable stew ever!).
If you need me I will be in the kitchen, waiting for delicious grub...
- Read Next
- Pre-order your food on campus with the FanGo App Stay healthy over summer! Host the the tastiest vegan bbq EVER
- Pre-order your food on campus with the FanGo App Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery Getting Around Glasgow Queen Margaret 360 Degree Image Gallery Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery