While Glasgow is moving over to food waste recycling you may have started to realise just how much food we actually throw out. Well put your mind at ease cause this wee article is all about food waste and how to avoid it!
Love Food, Hate Waste has some interesting facts about food waste:
- Did you know the UK throws away on average £12.5 BILLION worth of unused food items away each year? That's about £200 you just throw away each year!
- Food waste, unless disposed of properly via food recycling bins, goes straight to the landfill, contributing to global warming via the gases released as it rots!
- Thanks to people starting to throw away less food we have reduced CO2 emissions by 4.4 million tonnes, akin to taking 1.8 million cars off the road!
But how do you actually prevent yourself from throwing away unused food? Here's some handy tips:
- Shop on a full stomach! You will be more tempted to buy food you don't actually intend to eat while shopping on an empty stomach, and those 2 for 1 offers are always soo enticing...
- Write a food plan for the week ahead! List what you want to eat and when, then do your shopping list based on your plan, you will quickly see a reduction in your food bill when you aren't buying everything that takes your fancy.
- Freeze leftovers! Why not freeze that extra slice of pizza or leftover rice for another time when you can't be bothered cooking? With most microwaves now featuring a defrost setting it's as easy as chucking it in and having a hot food a few minutes later!
- Ensure you are storing food stuffs the right way! For example, bread is perfectly fine in the freezer but when put in the fridge this will actually make it go off quicker!
- It's amazing what you can do with random leftovers, such as veggies, beans and meat! Why not add leftover beans to your spaghetti sauce for extra protein or use that leftover meat in a stirfry?
Why not have a look at some of these great recipes featuring common leftovers?