Worst way to wake up....
Spent the whole term so far making friends and feeling pretty popular? All your hard work will soon be undone if you cause an unexpected wake up call!
Unfortunatley there won't be a dog fire brigade coming around the corner, it will just be a really loud ear bashing fire alarm! (I know, I was thoroughly disappointed too)
If cooking is a new and novel experience then keep these tips in mind to make sure you stay clear of that dreaded fire alarm...
- BEDROOM/SHOWER SNACKS - In case you hadn't noticed yet, there are smoke detectors in every room which means you can't get away with cooking anything in your bedroom, even toast. Let's face it shower snacks don't really save time. So leave your toaster, kettle and rice cooker in the kitchen.
- THAT SMELLS BURNT - It's nice to wake up to the smell of fresh coffee but your burnt dinner wafting down the corridor, not so much! Shut the kitchen door and your flatmates will thank you - not just because of the smell but it will stop smoke or steam getting through and activating the fire alarm in the corridor.
- IT'S HOT IN HERE! - Well open the kitchen window then! Or turn on the extractor fan! Any smoke or steam will magically disappear again avoiding the old fire alarm noise.
- EYES ON YOUR DINNER -Tempted to go for a wonder while your sausages are sizzling? Got distracted by the latest episode on netflix? Leaving cooking on its own is a very risky business so make sure you've always got your eyes on your dinner.
- OIL AND WATER AREN'T FRIENDS - If you've been frying don't be tempted to add water to make it cook quicker (for some reason?!) as this could result in flash flames that could put a bonfire to shame - not good news regardless of the season!
- IT'S BROKEN! - Noticed any damaged equipment? Report it to the halls manager - it could save lives.