It's common sense, but...
Residences at the University of Glasgow are incredibly safe. However, that doesn't mean you wouldn't be sensible to protect yourself and your valuables.
These things can be done with minimal effort and can help you avoid problems later:
- Make sure the door to your block is locked at all times. You wouldn't just leave the front door to your house open, would you?
- Lock your room door at all times. Yes, this even means when you run down the hall for a cup of tea or hop in the shower.
- Keep your windows locked. Don't be so focused on locking your door that you forget to check the windows, too.
- Be careful with your keys. Also, if you lose them, don't depend on your roommate to keep letting you in, thinking that your keys will just "pop up". Come to reception and buy a new set.
- Don't let anyone into your hall that you don't know. Have them wait outside the door while you go and find the person they’re looking for. You’re not being rude when you do this, you’re making sure the whole building is safe. Don’t let a stranger make you feel guilty. They need to explain to you, not the other way around.
- Keep an eye out on your belongings wherever you are. If you’re in the Common Room, keep your laptop, iPad and phone with you at all times. You may need to take a quick break to clear your mind... just as someone happens to walk by and see your belongings unattended.
- Make sure someone knows where you are at all times. Heading to a club in town? Going out on a date? There's no need to spill all the intimate details, but do let someone (a friend, a roommate, etc.) know where you're going and what time you expect to get back.
- Be very careful when going to parties, and be sure you go with a friend. Male or female, big or small, safe neighbourhood or not, this is always a good idea.
- Keep a mobile phone within reach at all times. You can call police, 999 or any other emergency number that can assist you. Also know the number for site security, these should be displayed in the kitchen board. You never know: you may need it for yourself or for something you see from far away.
- Security are on hand 24/7 and can be reached on 0141 330 4282.
- Read Next
- Student Apartments and Lister House Weekly Update (29 May) How I make my long distance relationship last Have you sorted your bills for next year? How to make your loan go the extra mile Here For You At Halls Emergency Financial Support At home with UofG Sport! COVID-19 Catering Service Update Sticking To A Routine While At Home Your Mental Health During Coronavirus
- Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Where are the Student Support Services at the University of Glasgow? Winton Drive 360 Degree Image Gallery Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Gate 360 Degree Image Gallery Applications for 2020/2021 now open! Murano Street Student Village Fitness fads to avoid