Cookie Consent by
a large brick building with a store on the side of a road


Maclay Residences FAQs

By Scampbell 17 Jun 2021

How close in the Residence to the University?

Approximately 20 mins walk (medium walking speed) to the main campus and a 40 min walk to the city centre.

Is there a bus that goes to the University from the Residence?

There is a bus stop on Sauchiehall Street approximately 7 mins walk from Maclay Residences where you can travel to the main campus via the city centre (transferring at Buchanan bus station) . One provider of this route is First Bus.

What is the emergency contact number?

The office telephone number is 0141 339 6272 and is available 24hrs a day.

Is there anyone available out of office hours?

The Office is usually open from 8 a.m. till 6 p.m. weekdays (4 p.m. on a public holiday if it falls on a term time date). The Duty Living Support assistant is in the office from 6 p.m. till 7 p.m. all 7 days. They are also on call throughout the night. Security staff will be based in Reception every night 6.45 p.m. till 6.45 a.m.

Do I need to do anything before moving into Maclay Residences?

You are required to complete the e-induction

Can I arrive before the start of my contract?

Yes if accommodation is available. Once you have accepted your offer you will be able to request preterm accommodation via your accommodation profile. Simply log in and follow the link to apply for preterm booking.

Students arriving before the start of the accommodation contract cannot be guaranteed accommodation and you may be required to find alternative accommodation before the start date of the contract.

Accommodation will be available from 12 noon on the 13th September unless you have booked preterm accommodation (if you arrive before the arrival time you are more than welcome to wait in our common room).

Can I extend my stay over the summer months?

Yes, normally information is emailed to you during 2nd term. Please note it may not be possible to accommodate you in your term time room due to planned maintenance work being carried out during the vacation period.

Can I look around a typical room before I decide to accept?

Yes, please confirm directly with the Maclay Residences Office prior to your visit (in case all rooms are fully occupied). Rooms can also be viewed via our Flickr page, including 360 degree photos.

Our Residence profile can be found here.

Are there medical facilities near the residence?

Yes, a medical practice is located on the Main Campus, other practices are located within a short walk from the residence. The NHS has a handy search engine.

Can I bring my bike?

Yes we have secure bike sheds onsite, however, you may wish to arrange additional insurance cover as your residence insurance will only cover Bikes up to a certain amount based on forced entry and only when locked in University designated storage areas. A free bike shed key can be collected from reception.

Can I bring my car?

Yes, free car parking facilities are available on site, please register your car with reception upon arrival.

What are the fire regulations like?

Please see our Residence Guide but for the avoidance of doubt:

  • Smoking is not permitted inside the buildings, including smoking out open windows. Electronic cigarettes are also not permitted within the buildings.
  • Cooking should not be left unattended.
  • Don’t wedge open fire doors at any point.
  • Candles, incense and other open flame items are not permitted within the buildings.
What do I need when living in Residence?

A set of bed linen and bedding will be provided and will be in your room for your arrival. However, you will need everything that is needed for independent living such as; crockery, cooking utensils etc.

If you are an overseas student and you need an adaptor, please ensure that the adaptor and any electrical equipment conforms and are marked to the British Standard (BS) or CE standard, as adaptors that do not meet the standard will be removed.

Are cooking utensils/crockery etc. provided?

No kitchen utensils/crockery or cleaning materials are provided.

Who cleans my flat/room?

No cleaners are provided and you are responsible for keeping your bedroom clean alongside the kitchen and hallway. Regular checks are carried out to ensure areas are kept clean.

Is bed linen provided?

Yes, but you are welcome to purchase your own. Our bed sizes are:

  • En suite Single – standard UK single bed size (90 cm x 190 cm (3' 0" x 6' 3"))
  • Large Ensuite Single – standard UK Double bed size (135 cm x 190 cm (4' 6" x 6' 3"))

Mattresses were replaced in Summer 2017 and as they are a high spec mattress they will be deeper than normal mattresses. You may wish to purchase a larger bedsheet (or a flat sheet) to ensure it fits the mattress.

If buying bed linen please check that sizes are either UK single or UK double as sometimes sizes will vary according to manufacturer.

What kind of laundry facilities are provided?

We have a paid laundry on site normally available 24 hours, pay is via a phone app.

Can I bring my own TV?

Yes you can bring your own TV but you are responsible for arranging and paying your own TV licence. Arial Sockets are only available in the kitchen common area.

See for more information.

What is the surrounding area like?

Maclay Residence is located at the end of a street which has many other student halls of residence located on it and is near the Finnieston area popular with students and young professionals.

SWG3, an arts and entertainment venue is also located next door.

It is located within a short walk to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Kelvingrove Park. It is also located close to many restaurants, coffee shops and bars in the Argyle Street area.

Are there shopping facilities near the Hall?

Yes on Argyle Street, Merkland Court and Byres Road.

Can I have overnight guests?

Please refer to the Accommodation Services Overnight Guest policy and procedure. Please note that overnight guests are not permitted during Freshers' Week and Arrivals Weekend.

What is the weather like in Glasgow?

The weather in Glasgow is varied and will change season to season. Due to the location of the city the climate is oceanic in nature. Temperatures are mild and we do recommend to bring a raincoat and warm layers for the colder months.

What happens if I lose my key?

You should notify staff as soon as possible and a spare key can be issued via the office with a charge of £20 per key being made for its replacement. For additional security please avoid labelling your key with any specific room details.

What happens to my mail / parcel delivery?

Mail is delivered directly to the letter box of each flat. If an item is too big for the letter box and no one is available to collect it in the flat, a card from the delivery company will be left advising you how to collect it.

When you move into the residences you will be provided with your full postal address. Please be very careful and specific when issuing your address to avoid any confusion/incorrect deliveries. No reference should be made to 9 Cooperage Place when you provide your address.

Please note reception cannot take delivery of any items either before your arrival or during term time

How do I pay my accommodation fees?

Your accommodation fees are paid via the University student system MyCampus. Also see:

Contact Details

For further information, please contact us:

Maclay Residences
9 Cooperage Place
G3 8QP

Tel: 0141 339 6272

To Stay up to date with Maclay