Cookie Consent by


Queen Margaret Residences FAQs

By Scampbell 09 Aug 2021

How close is the Residence to the University and the City Centre?

Approximately 20 minutes walk to the main campus and a 45-minute walk to the city centre.

Is there a bus that goes to the University from the residence?

There is public transport that runs from Great Western Road to Byres Road with a short walk to University from there.

A few minutes walk from the residences there is a bus stop where there is public transport taking you directly into Glasgow City centre. Alternatively you could walk to Byres Road where you can get the underground train to Glasgow City Centre.

What is the emergency contact number?

The office telephone no. is 0141 339 3273

Is there anyone available out of office hours?

After 6pm there is always a Living Support Assistant available to assist with any problems.

The residence also has a security guard that will be happy to assist with any queries you may have.

Can I arrive before the start of my contract?

You must arrange any additional nights before you arrive by applying for pre-term accommodation via your online accommodation account. The cost of this extra accommodation will be added to your MyCampus account. We will do our best to arrange for you to be allocated to your normal term time accommodation though we cannot guarantee this will be possible. Students who arrive prior to the commencement of their contract without a pre-term booking cannot be guaranteed accommodation with the University and may be required to find themselves alternative accommodation until their contract begins.

Where do I collect my keys?

Information on this will be provided to you nearer the time as plans for this may need to change depending on the Government guidelines at that time. Please look out for our pre arrival email on the lead up to your arrival which will advise of the check in process. You can also find the most up to date information on

How much do I pay for heating and lighting and internet?

All heating, hot water and electricity, and internet is included in your rent.

Can I extend my stay over the summer months?

It may be possible to extend over the summer months, but places are limited. You will be asked to complete a form in third term indicating that you wish to extend. Please note that you may be required to move flats.

Can I possibly look around a typical room before I decide to accept?

It may be possible to arrange a visit by contacting the QMR office on 0141 339 3273. If you arrive for visit without contacting the office first, we cannot guarantee that there will be a staff member available to show you the accommodation. Alternatively you can check the University website for a list of University open days where it may be possible to visit the Residence.

Are there medical facilities near the residence?

There are several doctors' surgeries near QMR; we will supply further information on your arrival in our accommodation. There is also a medical centre within the university, further information can be found at

What am I responsible for cleaning?

You are responsible for cleaning your own bedroom and keeping all shared areas such as kitchen, toilets and showers clean and tidy throughout the week. Your flat kitchen and communal areas will receive a weekly service by site staff.

Will an inventory be carried out on my room / flat?

Upon arrival, you must complete your room inventory (which will be sent to your email address). There will be 2 flat and room inspections carried out during your stay, you will be provided with further information on this when you arrive.

Does the residence have student cooking facilities?

Each flat has an electric cooker, a microwave oven, kettle and fridge freezer as it is a self-catering residence.

Are cooking utensils, crockery supplied?

No, crockery etc. is not supplied by the University. We do supply an iron, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, brush, shovel, mop and bucket.

How can I recycle my waste?

There are designated recycling bins throughout the residence, please pick up a guide from Reception. Paper, cans, tins and plastic bottles can all be recycled. Glass recycling bins are also available for your use.

Can I bring my bike?

Yes, there are lockable bike stores throughout the site. Your bedroom key will open the bike sheds. All bikes are required to be registered and tagged. Please note that all tenants are responsible for making sure that their bicycle is adequately insured and secured. You can insure your bike as part of your Block Halls policy by going to

How can I find out what the Block Halls Insurance Policy covers?

The University of Glasgow has arranged some contents insurance cover for you with Endsleigh, the number 1 student insurance provider. Input your policy number HH1357 at to check your policy details. Here you will find more information on how to check what is covered, some key exclusions and limitations, how to check your policy excess, how to extend and personalise your cover and most importantly, how to make a claim.

Is there a car park attached to the Residence?

There are limited private car parks on site. Anyone wishing to use the private car park during term time must register their car details at reception to receive a parking permit.

Is internet/ WiFi available in the room?

Yes, Wi-Fi is available in the CSB building and all flats within the residence through Optify. Any issues with the internet should be raised with Optify directly.

Can I bring my own TV?

Yes, but it must be fitted with a correctly rated fuse, correctly wired plug and a cable in good order. Students must obtain their own TV license. See for more details.

Do I need to take everything out of my room at Christmas and Easter Holidays?

No, your contract includes holiday periods, you do not have to remove your belongings.

Can my friends stay overnight?

Please refer to the Accommodation Services Overnight Guest policy and procedure. Please note that overnight guests are not permitted during Freshers' Week and Arrivals Weekend.

What happens if I lose my keys?

You must let staff at the CSB know. Please try to avoid carrying your keys with anything that would identify your address. A charge will be made for the replacement key and fob.

What happens to my mail/parcel delivery?

Mail is delivered directly to the letter boxes at the front door of the flats. If an item is too big for your letter box, the postman will put a note in your letter box telling you where to collect it. We do not take parcels at reception.

How do I report a repair?

All repairs must be reported to the office and staff will take appropriate action. In an emergency out with office hours you should contact the duty Living Support Assistant who will call the relevant member of the maintenance team. This is in an extreme emergency only. If the repair is non-urgent and the office is closed please complete an on-line repair form at:

How can I get to Glasgow International Airport?

A taxi will cost you approximately £20. If you wish to use public transport it is possible to get a bus from Partick Bus Station to take you to the Airport. Please allow yourself plenty of time to get to the Airport if you choose to use this service. Alternatively there is an airport shuttle bus that will take you directly to the airport from Buchanan Bus Station, a single ticket costs approximately £6.50 and an open return lasting 28 days is approximately £9.

What do I need when living in halls?

Everything that is needed for independent living! This includes; crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, saucepans, towels.

If you would like to pre-order some of these items before you come to Queen Margaret Residences we have teamed up with UniKitOut to help you order all your bedroom, bathroom and kitchen essentials and have them waiting for you when you arrive. Just head to, select your items and remember to enter the discount code GLASGOW10! when making your purchase to get 10% off your order.

Anything else that would be useful for me to bring?

A Glasgow Street Guide, tea towels, a padlock for the food lockers and warm clothing for the winter months.

What assistance is available in the residence?

Queen Margaret office is based on site and is open from 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday. Living Support Assistants – pastoral staff members appointed by the University – are responsible for the flats outwith office hours. There are also night security staff based in the Central Services Building who are on duty from 5pm – 8am.

Who do I contact about paying my accommodation fees?

All students must complete the financial registration though the MyCampus system but if you experience problems setting up a Direct Debit, selecting a Manual Payment Plan or making a payment you can contact the Student Services Enquiry Team for further information and support.

I want to move room or to a different site?

Room Transfer forms will be available from 9am on the Monday of Freshers week. The transfer form will be available on your accommodation account, this is the on- line portal you used when creating your application. You will need your user name and password in order to log on. If you would like more information on this please contact accommodation services directly at or 0141 330 4743.

I have further questions?

Please contact QMR reception, we will do our best to answer all your questions! We can be reached on 0141 339 3273 or at