Cookie Consent by
a pair of glasses on a table


Registering with a doctor

By CGordon 01 Sep 2020

It's really important that you register with a local doctor (near to your term-time address) once you arrive in Glasgow. This does not mean that the relationship with your home doctor is broken, you may still consult with them when you're on vacation.

Don't leave registering with a doctor until you're unwell. You may have difficulty in getting medical attention if you are not registered, especially if an emergency arises in the middle of the night

How to register with a doctor

To register with a doctor, take your medical card with you to your chosen GP practice. If you can not find this you will be given a form to complete at the practice instead. Some practices allow you to register online, or download and complete the form in advance. 

If you're an overseas student and have not previously been registered with an NHS doctor and do not have an NHS medical card, you should inform the General Practitioner (GP) you are registering with.

Find a GP practice near you

On campus

We have a medical practice on campus at the university. It's called Barclay Medical Practice, and is located on the lower floor of the Fraser Building at 65 Hillhead Street. This is a popular practice to register with because of its convenient location. You can register online with this practice so you do not need to visit in person.

Near your address

If you'd prefer to register with a doctor close to where you stay, follow this link and type in your postcode to find your nearest GP practices. If you live in university accommodation, your site reception will be able to provide you with information on local doctors.

How to access other health services

Use this link to find a range of health services close to where you live.

You can search for local A&E and minor injuries units, dentists, GP practices, health and wellbeing services, hospitals, opticians, pharmacies and sexual health clinics.

How to get help outside your GP opening hours

If you're too unwell to wait for your GP practice to re-open, you can call NHS 24 on 111 for assistance. You can find more information on NHS 24 here.

If you or someone you're with is having a medical emergency, do not call 111. If you think that someone's life is at risk you should phone 999 immediately and request an ambulance. 

If you live in university accommodation and feel unwell, you can visit your site reception for help, or out of hours you can contact your Living Support Assistants. They can provide first aid, and can help you to access medical services. 

How to get help for your mental health

If you are struggling with your mental health there is lots of help available. There are a number of self-help resources on the University's website, you can visit your GP, or you can make an appointment with the university's counselling and psychological services.

If you are afraid that you, or someone you know, may be a danger to themselves or others then please seek help immediately.

Please contact your GP or NHS 24 on 111.  Alternatively you can go to Accident and Emergencies (A&E). 
The Samaritans are available for drop-ins at 210 West George Street from 9am to 10pm or can be contacted on 116 123 or at  Breathing Space also operates a helpline from 6pm - 2am weekdays and throughout the weekend.  They can be contact on 0800 83 85 87.  

If you live in university accommodation and need someone to talk to, you can go to your site reception during office hours, or outside of office hours you can contact your Living Support Assistants.


The University have a dedicated website for up-to-date information on covid-19. There are also resources for if you experience covid-19 symptoms, if you are self-isolating and need support, how to register your illness with the University, and how to book a test.


Students are particularly at risk of getting meningitis, so it's important to know the symptoms. 

For more information about meningitis, watch our video here. You can also get a wealth of information on the Meningitis Research Foundation website, where they have a symptom checker.

It's recommended that you are vaccinated against meningitis. For more information on vaccines, ask your local doctor, or click here.

What to do when you're absent from university due to illness

If you are absent from class due to ill health, you should record this on MyCampus, and inform your lecturers so they can provide you with any missed work.

If there is a chance that ill health might affect your coursework or preparation for an exam, you should talk to your Adviser of Studies or supervisor as soon as you can so that reasonable allowances can be made, for example extension of a deadline or deferment of an exam. If at all possible, don’t wait until after the exam or deadline has passed.

You can see who your Advisor is by logging into your My Student Centre via the MyGlasgow Portal. You can login through the MyGlasgow page ( by clicking on Students and entering your GUID and password when prompted.

You should also ensure any absences or instances of “good cause” are recorded in your MyCampus so the University can consider these when calculating your grades. You can find information on how to submit a "good cause" claim here.

If you’re unsure if you should be recording something as “good cause” you can check with your Adviser of Studies/Supervisor or speak with the SRC Advice Centre.

Need more information?

If you need more information, visit the health services page on the university website. The Student Representative Council (SRC) also have health information here.