Saika's Blog: Dumbarton Castle day trip
The stresses of university can sometimes get too much and taking some time out to enjoy yourself and clear your head is important. This is where my blog comes in, I've found the perfect day trip that's not only budget-friendly but will get you wondering why you hadn't explored sooner!
Dumbarton Castle rated as 4.5 by TripAdvisor and is only 12.5 mile from the Glasgow, Hillhead. Dumbarton Castle is one of the best places for a day trip as it is budget-friendly. It's open from Saturday to Wednesday so on a sunny Saturday a few weeks ago I decided I would go and find out what it had to offer...
I started my journey from the Hillhead subway. Then I got off at the Partick station where I bought a round ticket of Scotrail, from Partick to Dumbarton East station. It took me around 25-35min to reach Dumbarton East station and from the Dumbarton East station, it only took me a 7-10 min walk to the castle, so not far at all. I reached Dumbarton Castle by 10.45am and I bought the ticket from the visitor centre which is located at the second level of the castle, you won't miss it.
The view offered from the 240ft high is breath-taking. Although you have to conquer 500 stairs to reach the top it was definitely worth it and just think, on the way back it's all down hill - easy! The entire town can be seen from the top of the castle. There is a football field beside the castle which is Dumbarton FC and there is a souvenir shop at the visitor centre if you wanted to buy anything as a reminder of your day trip.
After visiting Dumbarton Castle, I believe that the real beauty of nature can neither be captured nor described; it only could be felt.
So, what are you waiting for?! Explore Dumbarton Castle!
- Hillhead-Partick by Subway: £3.30 (Return)
- Partick-Dumbarton East by Scotrail: £4.90 (Return)
- Ticket Price for Dumbarton Castle: £6.00 (Adult)
Blog by: Saika
- Read Next
- Weekly Update Student Apartments and Lister House- 3rd April Emergency Financial Support Self-isolation: Workouts in your room Workout with UofG Sport! Student Apartments and Lister House Weekly Update (20 March) COVID-19 Catering Service Update Sticking To A Routine While At Home Your Mental Health During Coronavirus Battling Loneliness During Isolation Looking for an Internship?
- Are you being safe online? Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery Cooking, with cereal? Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Where are the Student Support Services at the University of Glasgow? Winton Drive 360 Degree Image Gallery Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Gate 360 Degree Image Gallery Keep it quiet @ QM