Tips for Getting into a Good Sleep Routine
Still not sure what day it is? Gotten into a bad sleep routine over the holidays? Us too... So we've put together some tips for getting back into a good sleeping pattern so you can make those 9am lectures.
1. Adjust your bed time gradually
There's no point kidding ourselves that we can sleep at 11pm after weeks of staying up into the early hours of the morning. Try putting your bed time back by an hour each night instead. The Sleep Foundation recommends 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night.
2. Avoid eating too late
We know, that leftover pizza is just so tempting... But eating too close to bed time can make it harder to get to sleep. Try to sticking to regular meal times as much as possible.
3. Avoid caffeine in the evenings
It's recommended that you avoid caffeine for 6 hours before going to sleep.
4. Get some exercise
Exercise regularly to tire yourself out. You could go for a walk or jog, or try out a yoga or exercise class on Youtube. It's also worth checking out the UofGSport app for online classes and workout ideas.
5. Turn off the tech
Take a break from your laptop or phone screen before bed. If you can't go without a pre-bed scroll on Instagram, then set your device to night mode where possible.
6. Try sleep apps
There are lots of apps that can help you sleep, including meditation apps and white noise apps.
7. Avoid sleeping in once your alarm goes off
Once that alarm goes off, resist the temptation to hit snooze.
- Open the curtains and let some light in the room as soon as possible.
- Drink a glass of water - dehydration causes tiredness.
- Eat a good breakfast to give you energy.
8. Try a light emitting alarm clock
If you really struggle to get up in the mornings, you could invest in a light alarm clock. These light emitting clocks gradually lighten the room until it's as bright as daylight. This method allows for a more gentle and natural wake up than just an alarm, and can make it easier to get up and ditch the snooze button.
- Read Next
- Student Apartments and Lister House Weekly Update (26 November) Wolfson Hall Table Tennis Tournament Maclay's Comedy Movie Night Eat, Drink, Relax it's the Weekend St Andrew's Day Quiz at QMR Maclay Residences Weekly Update (22 November) Catering News from Wolfson Hall Edinburgh Christmas Market Trips GSL Index Post-arrival survey now live! Maclay Monthly Games Night
- Maclay Residences 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Street 360 Degree Image Gallery Lister House 360 Degree Image Gallery Winton Drive Winton Drive 360 Degree Image Gallery Queen Margaret Residence 360 Degree Image Gallery Kelvinhaugh Gate 360 Degree Image Gallery Murano Street Student Village Student Apartments 360 Degree Image Gallery Your Room Contents Insurance